Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why I hate Valentine's Day

I mentioned sometime last month that I am not a Valentine's Day fan. I never really have been, not since I was little. There are a variety of reasons. My hatred for the day started probably sometime in middle school, because by high school I absolutely despised it. I was never in a relationship on Valentine's Day (or ever), so it was frustrating to be reminded of that. At that point in time (and now, too in some ways), I was very much a non-conformist, and Valentine's Day seemed like a gimmick for Hallmark and Whitman's to make money. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is my belief that if you love someone, you should tell them every day, not just on February 14th. Randomly do something sweet for them when they are least expecting it if you want to show them you love them. Don't do it because you feel obligated to because it happens to be the 45th day of the year. That's silly. If you want to celebrate it, that's fine. I promise I'll try my best not to rain on your parade, and perhaps my thoughts on Valentine's Day will change some day when I am in a relationship, but for now it's a day that I just try to muddle through.

No comments:

Post a Comment