Sunday, February 10, 2013

Letters

To say I am a fan of letters of the hand written variety would be an understatement. First of all, who doesn't like getting mail? Not the kind that has bills or bank statements or other random stuff that you don't really care about. The real kind of mail. Letters! From real people! Plus, I love the way hand written letters let me know that the sender was (a) thinking about me and (b) took time out of their day to write to me. There's just something special about it. I write a lot of letters too. Not as many as I would like (thank you, grad school), but I try to write somebody at least once a month.

Six months ago when I left my job at the daycare, I wrote letters to all of the kids in my class. I had been with that class for three years, and had grown really close to them. I gave the letters out a few days before I left in case some of them weren't there on the last day. On my last day, my co-teacher (who I was SO blessed to get to work with; he is awesome with kids and is really easy to get along with) gave me a pile of cards my kids had made me the day before because I came in late. I cried a lot that day, so reading really sweet cards written by a bunch of fifth graders didn't do anything to ease that issue.


I was at my parents house last week because I was in town for the day for a dentist appointment (woo), and brought those cards back with me so that I can scan them and put them on my computer. You know, in all my spare time. Right now, they're in my fire proof box. I would be devastated if anything happened to them. I love the genuineness of them, and they perfectly capture that moment in time. Those kids changed my life in a million ways, and those letters serve as a reminder of that. They remind me how much I love those kids and how grateful I am to have spent three years of my life with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment