Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Priorities

In high school, I was that person that everybody talked to. Not that I was popular. Not at all, but when people talk to me, I listen. Usually. I don't say that to brag about myself, it's just one of the skills I possess. At times it was problematic because it would prevent me from doing what I should have been doing. Homework, practicing the violin, etc. Eventually, I had this realization. When I die and get to heaven, I am not going to have to be accountable for the grades I made on a test. God isn't going to call me out about a grammatical error on a paper. Do I have to be accountable for the way I spent my time? Yes, but if I were a betting (wo)man, I would bet that God would prefer for me not to check over a paper one last time if that meant I was able to listen or talk to somebody that needed to talk.

In the midst of grad school craziness, and let me just tell you, February has been and will continue to be crazy, it is easy to lose sight of that. Being a student is way down on my priority list. First and foremost, I am a child of God. Second, I am a friend, sister, daughter. Third, I am an employee with an employer to whom I have agreed to be loyal. And then after that I am a student. It is easy to forget in the midst of papers, presentations, discussions, portfolios, tests, endless amounts of reading, among other things. Yes, school is what will allow me to get to where I am going, but if I let school rule my life, what exactly will I have left?

Nothing, I will have nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment