Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Neon printed overalls

I have always been frugal. Probably too frugal at times (if that's possible).

When I was about 8, or, well I don't really know. I was in upper elementary school, though. Anyway, a local theme park asked for homeschool families to come for the day to shoot a commercial. I guess they didn't have to be homeschool, but it was during the school year. Anyway, all the child participants got a HUGE check. Fifty-five dollars! I thought I was rich!

Several weeks later, I was at the mall with my mom and saw this pair of overalls I HAD to have. You remember the kind. Rocking pattern with a neon background. I would be mortified to look at them now, but in the 90's they were cool. They were on sale! For $20. My mom told me that if I wanted them, I had just gotten money and that I could buy them if I wanted them.

And that's the day Sarah's music died.

No, but really, when I realized I would have to spend my own not-so-hard-earned money for overalls, they were no longer appealing to me, and I have been frugal ever since.

The reason I thought of that was that a friend just pinned a picture of a really cute skirt on pinterest. I clicked on it and it took me to a store. It was one-hundred ninety-something dollars! WHAAAAT?! For a skirt? Don't get me wrong, it was really cute, and it looked nice and like it would be moderately difficult to make, but not almost two-hundred dollars difficult! AND! It was on sale too! Again, WHAAAAAT?!

I'm definitely that person that will be shopping, see something, think it's cute, look at the price tag and it suddenly becomes the most repulsive thing I have ever seen.

I'm also that obnoxious person in front of you with 1,800 coupons (not really, it's usually about 3) that only buys things when they are on sale.

It's always interesting to me to think back to how or why I do something or act in a certain way. I probably would have been a frugal person anyway, but I will always, always attribute it to that terrible pair of neon printed overalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment