Last night at Chili's, there were just four of us. It was kind of nice. Not that I don't love the other girls in my program that come with us sometimes, but the three of them were my buddies in counseling skills, and I just know them a little better. Plus, it's difficult to talk with a lot of people because everybody is so spread out, so a smaller group in general is just fun. Two of the girls are married and the other one and I are not, although she's in a relationship. We started talking about how you know you love someone. The two of them basically said it was easy. Not that a relationship is easy, but being with them is easy. They didn't know how to explain it either, but the other two of us knew what they meant. Then they started talking about previous failed relationships. How hard they were. How it felt like a drag. How that person had not treated them (or other people) particularly well. They talked about how difficult it would have been to make some of the decisions they have had to make with their last boyfriend before their husband. The whole conversation lead to a lot of reflection. Most of the way home, I kept thinking about how grateful I am to God for the way things are right now.
Even though I occasionally whine about my lack of relationship, deep down I know that right now is not the time to start one. I don't know when that time will be, and I don't want to be that person that is always in a place where I'm not in the right place or it's not the right time, but I do have confidence that God has a better plan for my life and the timeline of my life than I ever could.
The other thing I was grateful is for a situation I was saved from. I don't feel comfortable going into details about it, but when one of them said the thing about making tough decisions with someone else and how much more difficult it would have been, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. At the time, it was a really difficult situation to deal with, and I very much questioned why God was doing it. Looking back, I don't know how I didn't see it. So thankful for a God that intervenes in seemingly really odd ways.
Thankful for FRIENDS to spend my Wednesday nights with. Thankful for reminders that God has a plan. Just thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment