I have actually really enjoyed writing a daily haiku. And, holy cow, it has been three weeks? Not sure how that happened. It was fun to read back through them just now. As I read through them, I can recall exactly what was happening that day that made me write whatever seventeen syllables I wrote, but I can't help but wonder how many things I won't remember a year from now. Or perhaps I will be surprised at how many things I will remember. Who knows. It doesn't particularly matter either way, I don't guess. I mean, honestly, that is part of the reason I write. So that I will remember, but I also acknowledge that there are things that are better off not remembering. Kind of your brain trying to tell you that forgetting that particular thing will make you a better or healthier person.
Neurologically, I kind of know some bits and pieces about why remember what we remember. I had to take a behavioral neuroscience class in undergrad. It was by far one of my two hardest classes, but it was also one of my favorite. I find all the brain processes fascinating. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that that makes me a nerd, but I digress. The hippocampus is kind of "in charge" of coding memories, and it is located adjacent to the amygdala, which is the emotion center. It kind of explains why highly emotional events are often the ones you remember. Your brain also habituates to events, which is why you don't hear the train that is a mile away after you have been living somewhere for a while, and why house guests smell the essence of your house smell while you stopped smelling it months or years ago. You habituate to them. In the same way, we eventually habituate to common occurrences. The day to day things stop sticking out to us because they are routine. That's why you can't remember if you locked your door, turned off the light, or rinsed out the coffee pot. They are daily occurrences, and they all bleed together.
I guess I find it interesting what some people remember and others don't. Or more specifically, why I remember things that other people don't. I don't say that to sound weird or harsh, but a good portion of the people in my life know that I remember the most random things. I also know a lot of random things, and I kind of take pride in that. Perhaps it is to make up for my complete inability to participate in, and my disdain of, small talk. I don't know.
That is enough rambling, I suppose. I didn't have anything particular I wanted to write about. I just wanted to write. Despite the fact that I do enjoy writing my haikus each day, I do also miss writing whatever I want to write using as many words, well syllables, as I want to use.
No comments:
Post a Comment