Thursday, January 9, 2014

Turn around

I don't usually pride myself on being funny. If people somehow manage to think I am funny, it usually has far more to do with my laugh than with anything I have done or said. Occasionally, though, I will say something that is funny. It is a rare occurrence, but it does happen, and 95% of the time it is on accident. Or not necessarily on accident, just that I am not saying it thinking it is going to be funny.

So anyway, last night I was talking to one of my engaged friends when I managed to make a funny. She was explaining that she had sent off her engagement ring (that she has had for about three months now) to get resized because it is too big. She then went on to tell me it was her most prized possession, to which I responded that was a normal most prized possession for a girl. After that, I was thinking about the time last year in 2012 when we were drawing some stuff in class (because in case you didn't know, drawing in class is what you do in grad school) and one of the things we had to draw was our most prized possession. Almost every female in the class that was engaged/married drew a picture of their ring(s), so I was telling her about that. And then I figured I should mention what I drew.

 In case you need to be reminded, my dear nonexistent readers, my friends are almost all in a relationship, engaged, or married (which I say in complete sarcasm since I bring it up almost every time I post). Considering how much I bring it up and/or whine about it, I am really not that bothered by it. Right now. It comes and goes. Anyway, back to my story.

So I tell her that I'm sitting there in a class where probably half of the females are married/engaged and who have drawn pictures of their rings. After that, my exact wording was, "And there I was with a really bad drawing of my kitchen aid mixer. #singlelife"

Maybe it's just me. Although she thought it was funny as well.

Truthfully, I think that is where a lot of humor in general comes from. Making light of the own situations in your life and taking things that are not necessarily funny, or perhaps taking things that are not ideal, and turning them around, and yourself around, to a place where you are comfortable enough with that to allow yourself to be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment