Today I did something I have never done before. Something I didn't think I ever would do. Something that I have made fun of people for doing before. At least in my head. I wouldn't make fun of people for this out loud. Make fun of is probably the wrong wording. I question why people would do what I did today and always found it rather odd.
I guess in theory I did many things today I have never done before. I cut up a potato that had never been cut up before. I threw away things that had never been thrown away before. I got completely stopped in traffic on the highway near me (and yes, I really have never gotten into complete stand still traffic on that highway in the 18 months I have lived here). None of those are very out there or exciting, though.
Today I, well, I tried tofu. I don't think I pressed it long enough because its texture was still sort of weird even after cooking it, but it wasn't terrible. I made some sort of tofu and potatoes dish with various spices, some coconut oil, red wine vinegar, and brown sugar and chicken broth substituted for soy sauce that I thought I had but apparently did not. I actually might make this recipe again some day. I will press the tofu better, though. Or freeze it. Apparently that helps too? I'm not entirely sure. I am not exactly a tofu connoisseur, but I think I would be willing to purchase it again. *Cue gasp.*
I found a quote earlier that about made me die. I found it both accurate and humorous. Growing up, we didn't have a dog despite begggggging for one for years. We finally got one shortly after brother 1 moved away for college. We were supposed to get a dog named Rock who was a beagle mix, but Rock had heart worms and they were too bad for any treatments to work, so they put him down. Instead we got Bob who was a Beagle. To say that Bob was not a very intelligent dog would be putting it mildly. We ended up giving him away while I was still in high school. I wasn't terribly concerned about it at the time, but now I don't know why in the world we let him go. Regardless, I always swore that I would never, ever, EVER get a dog. Or any pet for that matter. The only exception was a fish. I had a fish for about two years in college. He, as all fish do, eventually died. Over the last year or so, I have come to realize that I do indeed want a dog eventually. Not right now; my life is too crazy and unstructured for it, plus I don't particularly want to pay the pet deposit my apartment complex requires since I don't know how much longer I will live here, but one of these days I do want a dog.
Back to the quote, "Get a dog, not a cat. One will make you a better person, the other is just an animal that lives in your house." Oh truer words have never been spoken. One thing I have wondered for years is if there is a personality difference between dog and cat people. Almost all of the people in my life both now and in the past have been dog people. Not necessarily in the sense that they have dogs or even like dogs, but given the two, they would pick a dog over a cat. I can only think of two cat people other than some family members who I rarely see that I actually like and get along with. One of my classmates who is a dog person too, but is just more of a cat person, and one of my old co-workers. There's just something different about dog and cat people, it seems.
In other news, I am having a bit of a moral dilemma. One of my friends is with a guy who I think is probably emotionally abusive. She has never blatantly said something he has said or done and I have immediately thought that it was, but some of the things she has alluded to make me wonder. Even if he isn't right now, I could definitely see it happening down the road. In a lot of ways, he is kind of like my dad, I think. Is always right and has to have his way, and cannot stand to not be in control of the situation. Is stubborn and won't admit when he made a mistake, and if he does admit to being wrong it is because somebody else was more wrong in some way or another. Truthfully, it isn't really a dilemma. I know what I should do. I know she will be mad and tell me I am wrong. I would definitely be risking a lot more than just her friendship by saying something. But at the same time, what in the world kind of friend am I if I don't point something out that I observe and legitimately am concerned about and that relationship results in an unhealthy marriage and a subsequent divorce later on down the road? I think it is definitely something to discuss with some of my friends who know me and are people I trust to give me solid and sound advice and suggestions before I follow through with anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment