My internship this semester requires me leaving my house before 7:00, so I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I have been going to bed relatively early on those nights. This morning I woke up to a text message from one of my high school friends that she had sent at about 11:30 last night. It wasn't weird that she texted me, but I rarely wake up to a text message, so that threw me off a little bit. It threw me off a lot when I read the text. She said that somebody had posted something on Facebook about a guy we went to high school with. Something along the lines of rest in peace and that he was a great friend. Obviously insinuating that he had died. My immediate thought and response was, "Whaaaaaaaat?!" And then after that, my next thought was that it was crazy, and that it is always weird when someone so young dies. And then after that, my next thought was that I really didn't care.
This guy said some really terrible things to and about me when I was in high school, and was just kind of a jerk. I was far more sad for his younger sister who I swam with for a year and for his mom who, while I didn't know particularly well, always seemed like a nice lady than I was concerned that he had ceased to exist. Even though I know with almost 100% certainty that he wasn't a Christian. And I didn't care that he was dead.
Like I said, terrible person.
Turns out the post got deleted and that he is (most likely) not dead. Nothing else has been posted, and another high school friend whose mom was (is?) friends with his mom didn't know anything. I figure if he really was dead that she would probably know.
And yet, here I am. Admitting to not being concerned or sad in any way at all about the possible death of a high school classmate.
And that is both concerning and sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment