Even though I need to be up in 8 hours and have done nothing to prepare myself for bed or lay my stuff out for tomorrow like I usually do, I am not particularly tired, and I feel like writing.
Cute kid story (naturally):
Me: [Name of child], what did we say about ______?
Child: You said not to.
Me: [Name of child], come here please.
Me: What happens when you do something we ask you not to do?
Child: You say, "yes ma'am?"
Haha, so cute. And in case you were wondering, the correct answer was, "time out."
A few nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, sat straight up, and immediately thought (or maybe said, I'm not sure), "How in the world am I ever going to find a guy to marry?"
I also learned upon waking up that morning that I have the ability to put my hair into a pony tail while I sleep. Clearly, it was a weird night.
Tonight after work, I ran some errands for the baby shower I am helping throw for sister-in-law 3. It's a mustaches and bow ties shower. Turns out, that is the theme of one of her other showers, but I didn't know that until today, and I got this idea several weeks ago.
Let me just say that if I ever have to go to rehab for anything, it will be because I completely and utterly lack any and all self-control when I enter a craft store. They are a legitimate problem in my life. I mean, seriously. It's bad.
Also, to the lady in front of me in the check out line at Target: a few things.
1. If you are going to use the 10 item or less check out line, you need to purchase all of your 10 items in one transaction. And, you know, only have 10 items or less. Otherwise, you need to either make one purchase and get back into line at the back of the line or get into a regular line. If absolutely nothing else, you should at least let the people who get in line behind you know that you might take a minute and/or apologize when you do, indeed, take a minute.
2. You obviously keep up with coupling sites. That's great. I do too. Not as intensely as I once did because I purchase most of my food other than produce at Whole Foods, but I'm still a savvy shopper when I can be. I get it. Learn how to coupon, though. You are the reason why people who don't use coupons hate couponers.
3. The cashier might not have caught it, and you obviously didn't care, but I noticed. I noticed that you stole something. When your second transaction didn't reach the $15 required to get a $5 gift card because you used two regular coupons prior to giving her the $5 off $15 coupon, so you told her to void the transaction and that you would try again, you proceeded to lie to your cashier, tell her you only gave her three items when it was actually four, and put the fourth in your cart with the items from your first purchase. I hope you really needed that body wash.
4. Part of my schooling (both grad school and undergrad) has involved various courses about being culturally competent. I, in no way shape or form, claim that I do well with this. It is completely and totally a work in progress. It will always be a work in progress. At one point in time, I am pretty sure I would have thought to myself that I wasn't surprised by your actions based on the color of your skin. Yes, this is terrible, I know. Tonight I found myself in this awkward place of, this has nothing to do with her race and everything to do with that she is an inconsiderate, at best, person, and was fearful that if I said anything either to her and/or to a Target employee, that the race card would be played. I'm not sure which thought process is worse.
Maybe that isn't the point. The point is, perhaps, two fold. One: I clearly lack the courage to state my convictions, even when, or especially when, the action has no impact on me and little impact in the grand scheme of things. We are talking a $4 bottle of body wash. Not really that big of a deal; it's just the principle of the matter. Two: Until I stop making assumptions about people, and that includes people who are "like me," I am always going to find a reason to doubt any and everything I could or should do. Frankly, that sounds like a terrible way to live life.
No comments:
Post a Comment